As domestic and family violence is largely about violence by men against women. we need to start conversations on gender relations in our churches.
Start by opening up conversations around:
- mob-shaming, slut-shaming and exploitation of women
- strength and partnership in intimate relationships
- what masculinity is considered as, and how this actually plays out
- the real statistics behind domestic violence
- how to talk about sex with our young people
- developing healthy attitudes towards relationships, domestic and pre-domestic
- dealing with “pack nature” in male approach to girls & women.
When a conversation is started, people can get real about what is at the root of domestic violence – which is the desire for power and control. It is amazing how easily we fail to identify these behaviours with our partners, our peers and ourselves.