Thank you for signing up your church for Aboriginal Sunday, and for your willingness to include our resources as part of your service on Sunday, Jan 20.
These resources have been prepared by Aboriginal Christian Leader Brooke Prentis, with support from the Common Grace team, to help your church meaningfully engage in prayer and solidarity on Aboriginal Sunday this year.
We pray that your church will be challenged and encouraged as they take this next step on the journey of friendship with our Aboriginal Christian Leaders who lead us down the path towards justice and healing in this land we now call Australia.
We recommend the following order for adding an Aboriginal Sunday to your Jan 20 church service, using the provided PowerPoint slides. The following order should take about 15 minutes of your service time:
- Introduction and Acknowledgement of Country from your service leader (2:00)
- Video message from Aunty Jean (1:32)
- Reading of Psalm 23 Aboriginal Style (2:00)
- Prayer: When we love our Aboriginal neighbour as ourself (2:30)
- Video message from Brooke Prentis (4:08)
- Responsive Prayer by Brooke Prentis (2:00)
- Advocate by taking a photo of your congregation standing barefoot together (2:00)
- Promote the National Prayer Service in your city (0:30)
We have uploaded all the resources for your service onto a shared Google Drive folder which you can access here. We have also listed each resource out below:
We have put together some slides to guide you through your service.
You’ll need to download both videos, rather than stream from our website, so you can test them on your system before the service and make sure both visual and audio are working. Please watch the videos the whole way through, to make sure they don’t drop out unexpectedly.
Prayers & Readings
You’ll need to ask someone from your community to read each prayer and passage. Please ask them to practise their readings beforehand, so they are confident with its message and delivery. Please acknowledge the authors of the prayers and passage before reading publicly.
- Download Aboriginal Psalm 23 (by Uncle Rev Ron Williams)
- Download Prayer: When we love our Aboriginal neighbour as ourself (by Penny Kleeman)
- Download Responsive Prayer (by Brooke Prentis)