Lead in your electorate
We’re on the search for passionate, dedicated Grassroots Electorate Leaders in 26 priority electorates around Australia.
Grassroots Electorate Leaders will lead a group of people in their local electorate or State Senate seat to engage their local Federal parliamentarian on issues of climate justice and call for urgent action.
26 priority electorates have been strategically selected to where we can have the biggest impact, and help focus our efforts and energy in the lead up to the next Australian Federal Election (scheduled for 2022).
Each Grassroots Electorate Leader will play a critical role in the broader strategy to seek federal support to establish a ‘bold and credible national climate plan’ to make the transformational shifts required to reach our Paris Agreement commitments.
Together, with our friends at Tearfund, we will build a movement of everyday Australians who will advocate for Australia to play a bigger role in contributing to the global effort to combat climate change.
Would you like to lead a group in your electorate? We’d love to hear from you!
- Take a closer look at the position description below
- Fill in the application form
- We’ll be in touch with more information on the next steps and training dates
Grassroots Electorate Leader - Volunteer Role Description
This role is for you if:
- You believe Christians have a role in speaking into the public sphere and you are excited by the opportunity to engage your local federal parliamentarian on issues of climate justice.
- You are keen to show that ordinary, everyday Christians care about tackling the climate crisis, and you would like to see both sides of government commit to doing more.
- You would like to learn more about political engagement and develop your skills as an advocate.
- You are excited about working with and leading others to work for urgent change on issues of climate justice.
You will work to:
- Establish and lead a local Grassroots Electorate Group of Christians from your electorate to take urgent action on climate justice.
- Work with your group to develop a localised plan for influencing your elected official on issues of climate justice.
- Listen to and represent the voice and story of your local constituency as it relates to issues of climate justice.
- Work alongside local churches and community groups with similar goals and aims.
- Commit to a minimum 9-12 month period in the role, and support a handover to a new leader if/when needed
You will be supported through:
- Participating in grassroots lobbying and political engagement training.
- Ongoing support and coaching from the Common Grace team.
- Access to resources and learning opportunities, including bi-monthly national online meet-ups with guest speakers like Dr Byron Smith, Jo Knight and Brooke Prentis.
- Connection with other grassroots campaigners from right across Australia.
We’d love to hear from you and together advocate to our political leaders for urgent action on climate change. Apply today
Do you know someone else who could be perfect for this role? Let them know about our need for a Grassroots Electorate Leader as part of Christians Together for Climate!