Ebony Birchall, lawyer and member of our Justice for People Seeking Asylum team, calls us to raise our voices for the humane treatment of people seeking safety this #RefugeeWeek.
They are still there. They are still stranded. Call on Foreign Minister Julie Bishop & Pray.
Share this post?
While the Indonesian and Malaysian governments have promised temporary shelter to the Rohingyans, they will only provide this once other countries promise to re-settle them. In the meantime they are still suffering at sea.
It is time to shout Yes, Yes, Yes to mercy for desperate people seeking safety.
Tweet, Julie Bishop @JulieBishopMP
Write to Julie Bishop directly: Julie.Bishop.MP@aph.gov.au
"#YesYesYes to #ResettlingRohingyas"
And pray. Pray for the Rohingyas to find a home.
Prayer Points - please pray specifically that:
- The Rohingyas are helped off the boats and given shelter.
- A search and rescue operation is launched to find other boats from Myanmar.
- Governments work together to end the persecution of the Rohingyas.
- Governments provide a clear 'front door' for refugees to seek asylum in our region so that they aren't forced to come on boats.
- Australia takes a lead in the region by giving the Rohingyas and other refugees a permanent home.
- The people of Australia will be generous and offer welcome to those in need.