This election Common Grace continues to raise a generous Christian voice in the public conversation, seeking to answer Jesus’ call to love our neighbours.
We have gathered contributions from various Australian Christian leaders and thinkers, to stimulate thought and conversations. We also recognise the many great initiatives by churches and Christian organisations produced for this election season.
Ultimately, we want to remember that voting is just one small part of change-making. We all have daily, practical opportunities to allow God’s kingdom to be established here on earth through acts of loving him, others and his creation.
Thinking about Voting from a Christian Perspective
We’ve collected written articles, podcasts, videos and other resources created to engage with the 2022 federal election, as well as from the past couple of election campaigns, that discuss how we might approach voting from a Christian perspective. If you’re looking for a place to start, check these out:
- Listen to an interview on Hope 103.2 with Common Grace's Creation and Climate Justice Coordinator Jane Kelly - 'Loving Your Neighbour With Your Vote' (You can also explore Hope 103.2 full range of election interviews here)
- 'The kingdom-building power of democracy' blog post by Dr Daniel Vujcich
- Eternity News full coverage of the 2022 federal election. Links on this page include summary of political parties policies, news articles on issues that Australian Christians have indicated matter to them and reflections on this year election campaign.
- Ethos Article, 'Culture Wars and Partisan Politics: how should Christians vote?'
- The Good Vote Podcast - created by Eternity News for the 2019 election, however it is still full with relevant content, with episodes including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, religious freedom, Islamophobia, the economy, the environment, and women.
- How in God’s Name Should I Vote? by Hope 103.2. Also created for the 2019 election, but much is still relevant. Hosted by Andrew Palmer with a swag of guests exploring the importance of your vote and the role of faith in politics.
- Sisters of St Joseph - Election Kit 2022
- Religion and Politics is like ice cream and manure: they don't mix - by Jarrod McKenna
- How to Vote Christianly – by John Dickson
- How Should Christians Vote? by Jonathan Chaplin
- Why I won’t vote my values – by Scott Higgins
- Should A Christian Vote for a Christian Party - by Greg Bondar and Brad Chilcott
- Faith in the Election - by Nils von Kalm
- How to Votes as a Christian in 2016 in 11 (not easy) steps - by Nathan Campbell
- Voting: An Exercise in Faith, Hope and Love - by Richard R Glover
- Hearing & Responding to the Margins - by Graham Hill
- Help! I'm a Christian & I vote! - by Kylie Beach